Rajma which is also known as Red kidney beans is very popular in the North of the nation. Northerners just simply love the aroma of Rajma chawal coming from their kitchen, and they will never get tired of it. Honestly, there is no Punjabi on this earth who would deny the fact that Rajma is life. So, without any delay lets know how to make Rajma Chawal.
- 2 cups Rajma soaked
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 2 large Tomatoes Chopped
- 2 Green chilies Chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam masala Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt as required
- ½ cup Coriander leaves chopped
- How to Cook Rajma:
Soak rajma for about 10 - 15 hours straight. Then take a pressure cooker and add soaked rajma to it and pour 4-5 cups of water. Now, let it cook for next 5-10 mins until the beans are easily mashable with your fingertips.
- Once it's done, Do not drain the stock at all, we will use it later in the masala instead of water.
- Keep aside cooked rajma and let it cool down, in the meanwhile we will prepare the masala.
- How to Make Masala:
Take a kadhai and switch on the heat on a higher flame. Add some oil to it( it is always recommended to add a proper amount of oil to it, come on it's an Indian dish).
- Once the oil is heated, lower the flame and add cumin seeds and bay leaves to it and chopped onions. Fry the onions well, until light golden brown.
- Now, add ginger garlic paste to it and mix gently (remember to lower the flame here, add ginger garlic to fried onions can sometimes burn the onions as well, which is not good.)
- Once the raw smell of garlic is faded, add the chopped tomatoes to it and mix well for a perfect rajma chawal recipe (try and add little amount of salt so that they cook faster)
- After about ten mins, add all powdered masalas (salt, red chili, turmeric, and coriander) and mix well with also regularly adding few amount of rajma stock in between.
- Cook the masala for ten more mins till you start to see oil coming onto the surface. Throw in the chopped green chilies as well.
- Add cooked kidney beans to the masala and give a gentle mix (be careful, do not break the rajma, they are delicate now). Add in the generous amount of the remaining stock to it.
- Cook it for about 5-10mins more so that beans could get blend in nicely with the masala. Once you find it this step accomplished, turn off the heat and let it rest for 2mins. Then garnish it with some chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot with steamed plain rice or jeera rice. You can also have it with naan or simple roti.