There are a million ways of cooking chicken, but chicken curry is the one most cherished upon. It is, in fact, a dish which does not require much time to prepare. If you’re in a hurry or do not want a fancy dinner, just some light, healthy and simple recipe, then chicken curry is for you. Chicken Curry Recipe is one of my to-go recipe that I always relish, due to its simplicity or just great lip-smacking flavor attacks on my taste buds. So without any further delay lets go through the ingredients and learn how to make Chicken Curry.
- 400 gms Raw Chicken
- 2-4 tbsp Edible Oil
- 3 chopped Onions
- 2 chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 2 Bay leaf
- 2-4 cardamoms
- 2-4 cloves
- 1 Cinnamon
- as required Salt
- 1 tsp Red chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp Degi mirch Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- Handful Chopped Coriander leaves
- Take a kadhai or pressure cooker(your call), heat it on a high flame. Remember, it is a chicken so it will cook quickly hence you might not need to use the cooker.
- Add the whole spices(2 bay leaves, 2-3 cardamom pods, 3-4 cloves, one cinnamon stick) into the kadhai and allow them to get absorbed into the heated oil.
- Now add the chopped onions, and mix it well. It is important to know that while cooking chicken you need to golden brown the onions for a better gravy.
- Once the onions are done, slow down the flames and add ginger-garlic paste and mix continuously. Remember that, when you add this paste, onions cook faster, so once the onions are half done, add the ginger-garlic paste so that nothing gets burned.
- Now add all the powdered masalas in the kadhai (salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, degi mirch powder)
- Mix everything well, and keep adding water whenever required.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes, and wait for them to get squishy.
- Once you see the oil on the surface of the masala, that makes it ready. This time, add the raw chicken in the masala and mix it very well so that it is coated well with the chicken.
- Now, add ample amount of water, and allow it to come to boil. We always tend to add more water in such type of curry recipes.
- Add chopped coriander and pinch of garam masala as well and do not stir anymore.
- Cover up the lid and let it cook for about ten more minutes. Remember, it is a chicken curry we are preparing here; it will not take too long to cook.
- After about 10 minutes or so, turn off the flame and let it cool down. Open the lid and inhale the mind-boggling aroma, yes it is like complimenting yourself for doing such a good job.
- Stir it a bit and dish it out.
- Garnish some more chopped coriander leaves and ginger juliennes and your Chicken Curry Recipe is ready.
- Best recommended is to serve with simple homemade fulkas. You can also try other Indian bread such as Paratha, Tandoori roti or Naan may be, the choice is up to your taste buds.
How to Make Indian Chicken Curry at Home
A classic south Indian dish, curry leaf chicken is aromatic and flavourful. Cooked over plain rice, curry leaf chicken pairs well with dals and roti. It also has a mild heat and goes well with rice. You can also add freshly ground peppercorns to this recipe. It’s finger-licking good and pairs well with rice, roti or chapatti. The strong flavours of curry leaves and peppercorns are tempered by the taste of fennel seeds.
If you want to make a traditional Indian chicken curry, you can use a Garam Masala. It is a popular Indian seasoning made from ground nuts and spices, and it can be used in almost any recipe. Start by frying a piece of chicken. Then, add a few tablespoons of oil, green chilies, onions, garlic ginger paste, tomato puree, and red chili powder. Sprinkle some salt, and continue cooking for about five minutes. Add the coriander, mint, and garam masala after the chicken is cooked.
There are a few ways to cook onions for a chicken curry. First, you must boiled your onions. Then, chop them finely. Next, blend them with ginger, garlic, and water until they turn a dark brown color. Transfer the blended onions to a large pot and simmer on low heat for about an hour. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. If you want, you can add a few teaspoons of curry powder to bring out the sweetness of the onions.
If you’ve never tried using coconut milk in chicken curry, you’re in for a treat! This sweet-tart dairy alternative is a wonderful and versatile way to add creaminess to your cooking. Unsweetened varieties don’t need additional sugar and are suitable for most recipes. Just be sure to shake the bottle well before using. To use the coconut milk in your chicken curry, prepare the following ingredients:
Rachael Ray loves chili and curry and this spicy version of chicken curry with chickpeas is just the thing for her. Try it out yourself for a delicious meal! And you can always add chickpeas to it to make it a vegan dish! You can also use a spicy paste instead of the traditional chicken stock and reduce the amount of chicken by half. It’s easy to make and tastes great!
One of the signature dishes of Vietnamese cuisine is Lemongrass in Chicken Curry. This fragrant, spicy chicken curry is one of the best ways to incorporate this aromatic herb into a curry dish. Fresh lemongrass is a great addition to this dish, and the flavor will only intensify with the addition of coconut milk. You can find fresh lemongrass in most Asian grocery stores, or you can buy pre-sliced lemongrass, which will also increase the dish’s flavor. Make sure to select extra-juicy chicken pieces, as it will ensure that the curry is extra juicy. Also, a food processor is handy for finely chopping the ginger, garlic, and onion.
Pork or turkey
If you’re not sure whether you want to use pork or turkey in your chicken curry recipe, this simple swap will work just as well. You can cook pork or turkey in the same way as chicken, although if you use bone-in chicken, it’ll take longer. Instead of chicken, Raghavan Iyer suggests using pork or turkey, as well as tofu and potatoes. If you can’t find a bone-in chicken, consider using a turkey thigh.
Rice with chicken curry is a traditional Indian dish that can be served with almost any type of vegetable. It can also be served with bowls of rice, which is a great alternative to eating the dish out of a spoon. You can add chopped dates or raisins to give the dish some added sweetness. You can either make your own samosas from scratch or purchase them at the grocery store. When making samosas, do not over-mash the potatoes; they should still have some texture. You can also add cauliflower to rice, as they have a similar taste to cauliflower and are lightly spiced.