Dum Aloo recipe is prepared with fresh potatoes cut into pieces and nicely fried to a golden brown perfection, which is drowned into a smooth, creamy curry cooked with onion, tomatoes and whole Indian spices accompanied with cashew paste. It is a great dinner idea for a family get-together, parties or just a usual Saturday dinner to eat something different and delicious.
Watch the Dum Aloo Recipe Video below to know how to make dum aloo:
How to Make Dum Aloo
What makes it different is that here we fry the potatoes first which gives it a distinct taste. So let’s quickly run through the ingredients needed and the instructions.
- 6 – 7 Freshly cut potatoes into half
- Cooking oil (for frying and cooking)
- 2 Onions (freshly washed and chopped into four big pieces)
- 4 Tomatoes (freshly washed and pureed)
- 2 Red dried chili
- 10 Cashew nuts (soaked for 20 mins in hot water and pureed)
- ½ Cup Yogurt ( Beaten Well )
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- Salt as per requirement
- ½ tbsp Red chili
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 Kashmiri Red chili powder
- 3 Cardamom seeds
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tbsp Kasuri methi
- 2 – 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander leaves
- Frying Up: In this step, we have to fry the potatoes in a frying pan and give them a good light golden brown color and take them out on a tissue paper and leave them as it is for awhile and continue further.
- Blanching: Now you can always make the masala two ways, either with blanched tomatoes and onions blended into a smooth paste or frying the onions and then adding other ingredients. Both the ways it is going to turn out well for you, but your convenience decides your choice. In this recipe, you will learn the easy way.
- Take the chopped onions, green chili, cashews and put all these into the pressure cooker and add water enough to drown them. Remember excess water will be used as an alternative of water in the gravy, so it’s always okay if water is getting a bit too much in the pressure cooker.
- Now taking the excess water aside, put all the ingredients into a mixer and blend very well.
- Preparing the masala: Take a pan and add some frying oil (2 – 3 tbsp). Add the whole spices and give a good stir for a minute and then add the whole paste into the pan and whisk it well. Now, keep stirring and adding a little water (excess of blanched veggies) into it from time to time for about 15 – 20 mins.
- Now, add all the powdered masalas and yogurt with ginger garlic paste as well. When you will start to see oil on the surface of the masala, add the fried potatoes. Mix it well.
- Finalizing: Let it cook for about 10 – 15 mins more, till the potatoes, get soft, and gravy more thicken. Now drizzle some fresh cream over it and garnish coriander leaves. Switch off the gas and sprinkle some Kasuri methi by crushing with your palm.
- Serve it hot with Roti or naan.