Paneer butter masala recipe is widely popular in the North Indian cuisine, which is prepared with fresh cottage cheese in the thick and rich, creamy curry masala cooked with onion and tomatoes, drizzled with fresh cream and coriander leaves. It is one of the most famous and loved dishes especially within the vegetarians. It’s irresistible creamy, and aromatic gravy is best suited to go with simple naan, butter naan, and tandoori roti. The secret to thick aromatic gravy is the well-cooked onion and tomatoes puree blended with whole spices. Do not forget to add crushed Kasuri methi into it in the end.
- 500 grams Paneer (cottage cheese) cut into triangles
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 2 Cloves
- 2 tbsp Garlic paste
- 2 Dried red chilies
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Coriander seeds crushed
- 2 Cinnamon (1 inch)
- 2 tbsp Ginger paste
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Onion sliced medium
- 10-20 soaked cashew nuts Cashew Paste
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 5-6 medium Tomatoes chopped
- ½ teaspoon Kasoori methi crushed
- 2 teaspoons Fresh cream
- Cashew nut paste – Take lukewarm water and add cashews in it and soak for about 2 hours, they will get soft in a perfect way for you to easily blend them into a smooth paste. Make sure not to add to much water into it, running consistency will not help in making a perfect restaurant style gravy. Try to make a smooth, thick paste.
Making the Masala: Take a pot or a kadai and add some butter into it and heat it well. Put all the whole spices into it and give it a good mix for about 1- 2 mins and once you smell the aroma of the spices, add in the dried red chili and chopped onion as well. Remember not to golden brown the onions; it is not necessary at all in this dish.
Let the onions get golden brown and then add ginger garlic paste into it and give it a good mix. Now add the chopped tomatoes, mix it and cook it for about 10-15mins till you see oil on the surface of the masala. Now switch off the gas and cool it down, make it into a puree.
Now, heat the prepared puree masala again in the same container and all the powdered masalas, Remember not to burn the paste, add water whenever needed but do not dry it out. Now add the magic cashew paste into it and give a good mix again.
Add the paneer cubes, make sure you stir it carefully so that the paneer cubes won’t break. Let it now cook for 15 mins till the cubes get soft enough. Now crush some Kasuri methi with your palms and drizzle onto it accompanied with cream and fresh coriander leaves, for creamy paneer butter masala on your plate.
- Serve it hot with Indian bread of your choices from above.